1. It’s not real.
2. It’s just an excuse to over-medicate kids.
3. I LOVE TAKING ADDERALL OMIGAW.
4. The internet and television are to blame!
5. It’s the same as meth.
1. It is real. It’s very real.
I wish I could capture what my mind is like for people who do not understand and then share it with them. I wish I could actually just force my unmedicated mind on them and let them experience the screaming, competing, and fleeting thoughts, the frustration, the extreme distraction, the fidgeting, the everything.
If there were a cure for ADD/ADHD tomorrow, I would fucking take it and be done with it. If I could have a mind that is able to function normally without the assistance of medicine and therapy, I would be all about that shit. I would love to not have to go to the doctor every three months, get harassed about every few pounds I put on or lose (which guess what?? my weight is normal, I have an appetite and I eat - oh god, do I eat), get yelled at by insurance for a 5 mg increase or decrease in medicine (let alone a brand switch), etc. etc. etc. I would love to be normal. I really fucking would.
2. Yes, there are a lot of doctors who happily prescribe medicine to some people who really do not have the disorder, I understand this and it annoys the shit out of me. Shitty doctors are not behind every ADD/ADHD diagnosis, though, and I personally never seem to run in to these kinds of “hey, I have a prescription pad and no worries, let’s prescribe you some crazy shit” kind of doctors.
I get questioned by my doctors constantly (which, by the way, they have to put their DEA numbers on my special prescription forms that if I ever lose, I am totally fucked), I have to deal with insurance and they have straight up denied me my prescription before, despite my doctors approval, and the biggest issue of all is that all the doctors who over-prescribe this shit make it that much harder for my condition to be seen as legitimate. Furthermore, there is a considerable issue with the overprescription of ADD/ADHD medicine to minorities because racists just want those brown kids to “stop acting out.”
3. Adderall, Ritalin, Vyvanse, Concerta, etc. work differently for those who have ADD/ADHD than when you recreationally take it and/or when you take it to stay up all night during finals. I’m glad you did 7000 practice problems for your Finance 4550 final exam and cleaned everything.
IT DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY FOR ME. My room still gets messy, I still procrastinate, I still love to sleep. All it does it slow my brain down so I can actually work through thoughts instead of having 87237434 thoughts going at once, forgetting them as a they happen, trying to listen to the professor talking at the same time and trying to remember what the hell it is that I needed to do later that day.
So, eat a dick and actually start studying earlier for your exam. Stop taking a pill that I actually need in order to function well in daily life just so that you can maybe do well on an exam. Furthermore, as in point number 2, if you keep abusing it, it keeps getting harder and harder for me to get my medicine.
4. No. Just…no. If you really think that it’s television and internet that give people ADD/ADHD and you want to continue to believe that without reading ANY research on the subject, that’s fine, but just stop telling me that. Also, it’s motherfucking genetic. Mother. Fucking. Genetic.
5. Rubbing alcohol and Sweetwater 420 are both alcohols, but they are not the same thing. Meth and adderall are both stimulants, but they are not the same thing. Do I really have to say this? Are you all that fucking stupid?
I hate writing these things because they tend to just make me way more mad than when I started (which you can see happened by the time I got to #4 and #5). However, somebody posted some bullshit, poorly written article on Facebook today and as I started to tear them a new one in form of a comment, I stopped myself and came over here to vent.
…also, please stop sharing bullshit articles on facebook.